CULTURE

Hangbo: The Kalanguya Way to Call for Fortune

by Dine Yve Daganos, The Mountain Collegian Alumni | Originally published as a Development Communication article in The Mountain Collegian Tabloid Vol. 46, Issue 3 (August 2018 – October 2018)

Illustrated by : MC Alumnus Jonel Bacayang 

Have you ever dreamt of attending a funeral, then upon approaching the coffin you find your own corpse inside? Or have you dreamt of eating your own fingernails while oozing in blood?

Life has always had its oddities and uncertainties. These uncertainties may sound like nothing to some however, for the folks of Ballay in Kabayan, Benguet, these events have certain interpretations that can guide people towards a good fortune. This ritual is locally known as Hangbo

In a study conducted by Florde Liza Alida, a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Development Communication (BSDC), hangbo is a traditional practice of the Kalanguya tribe in the community of Ballay, Kabayan. It is performed to acknowledge good omen in the form of unusual dreams and experiences which are interpreted by the manbunong or native priest. Accordingly, these encounters are brought by the dead ancestors as they believe that they have the power to communicate with the living through dreams or animals. 

A person can only perform hangbo with the permission of the council of elders. They hold the authority to declare whether to execute the ritual or not. The manbunong on the other hand, serves as the interpreter and leader of the ritual. 

Two Kinds of Hangbo

The community recognizes two kinds of hangbo – the tineteg or kaong and the dah-nep. Tineteg or kaong is performed for people who had unusual encounters such as ants and birds which are interpreted as short-term wealth like car or farm animals. It requires a single native male deer as a sacrifice. 

Dah-nep, is performed by those who have dreams about snakes, eggs, or a set of fruits and vegetables. Accordingly, this signifies long-term wealth or prosperity that can last until the third generation of the family. This depends entirely on the interpretation of the manbunong.

Why Hangbo?

Hangbo is practiced as a form of acknowledgment or call for wealth and fortune given by one’s own dead ancestors through unusual dreams and experiences. 

For instance, you encountered a group of birds along the way two to three days after a family occasion, this can be interpreted as the productivity of farm animals owned by the family. Moreover, if a bulalakaw, a certain species of birds, or matured eel with a light on its head appears after any occasion, it is a sign of blessing through any form of transportation vehicle. 

Hangbo can also eliminate or amend bad luck from vengeful spirits in the unseen world. The people in Ballay believe that when offended, spirits may cause sickness, death, misfortunes, and poverty to men. 

Accordingly, if the ritual is not performed, the luck from the spirits can turn into a misfortune.

Nonetheless, some Kalanguyas explained that not all unusual experiences or dreams require Hangbo. Some occurrences can only be a warning of in toward events. A snake outside the house staring at you may signify that a relative has passed away. However, if it passes across, it is believed to be a ghost. 

In some instances, birds can also serve as one’s guardian. If a bird suddenly appears in the house, it may be leading you to safety or may signify that your house might possibly be burned.

How Is It Done?

Hangbo is performed at the residence of the host. The manbunong utters a bat-bat or prayer to the five empty jars that were prepared to symbolize the family’s acceptance of the wealth. Kaong or native pigs are butchered as an offering to the spirits of the kalading. This is followed by the ngilih where the bile of the pig is examined to determine if the stag is good for sacrifice. A buhboh or a specific prayer for the wealth and prosperity of the family comes next. 

Dinawis or tinangtangan, an indigenous recipe, is served to the community to call for the arrival of wealth, followed by the pangan ni kalading where the elders invite the ancestral spirits for a meal. The pangan ni matago or meal for the living follows after. Rice and meat will also be distributed to the community as well as offerings to the spirits. 

The day after, another bunong or prayer is conducted for the head of the butchered animal. Money is placed to the coffin as an offering to the spirit for his or her journey to the afterlife. Blankets are also included to keep the deceased warm, as well as a bolo or hanggap which symbolizes capital of wealth.
Finally, a ngilin or days of observance is declared by the manbunong. Within this period, the family is not allowed to go out of the house.

Beyond Hangbo

Stanley Anongos, BSU Museum head, said that the practice of hangbo infuses people with the recognition of ancestors’ spirits. It serves as an expression of religious practice as one tries to bring equilibrium in the family or the community. 

“To recognize hangbo is to recognize traditional religious beliefs. You can look at hangbo as a venue where family members get together because we do not get to be together all the time. In a sense, it is their traditional type of family reunion. Although it is a religious ceremony, but sociologically you bring families together,” said Anongos. 

With the modernization of time, the practice of hangbo among other indigenous knowledge eventually declined. In order to sustain the good practice, the elders of Ballay It is performed to acknowledge good omen in the form of unusual dreams and experiences which are interpreted by the manbunong or native priest. Accordingly, these encounters are brought by the dead ancestors as they believe that they have the power to communicate with the living through dreams or animals continue to share stories about hangbo and encourage the youth to join in community gatherings. 

Norilyn Dupingay, BSDC III, claimed that her family once performed hangbo though they were committed to a Christian church. Accordingly, her brother often met accidents while maneuvering his truck. Alarmed, their relatives insisted that he should perform hangbo

“At first, we really did not want to because of our Christian background but our relatives insisted,” Dupingay said. Accordingly, the accidents stopped occurring after they performed hangbo

Indeed, we may find some of the indigenous practices odd or inappropriate, but if we dig deeper and be open, there is more to our rich culture that is worth keeping. More importantly, it served a significant role in establishing our value-laden communities. It taught us a sense of hospitality, industriousness, and generosity. These characteristics make us entirely unique from other cultures.

RELATED ARTICLES

From Ato to Coffee Shops
CULTURE From Ato to Coffee Shops by Crislyn Balangen, The Mountain Collegian Alumni | Originally published...
Continue reading
Sangadil: an Indigenous Practice of Honoring the Dead
CULTURE Sangadil: an Indigenous Practice of Honoring the Dead by Dine Yve Daganos, The Mountain Collegian...
Continue reading
Dap-ay: The Multipurpose Hub​
CULTURE Dap-ay: The Multipurpose Hub by Erwin John Taborda, The Mountain Collegian Alumni | Originally...
Continue reading
Sapata: More Than a Sacred Oath
CULTURE Sapata: More Than a Sacred Oath by Rose Dagupen, The Mountain Collegian alumnA “In the...
Continue reading