CULTURE

From Ato to Coffee Shops

by Crislyn Balangen, The Mountain Collegian Alumni | Originally published as a development communication article in The Mountain Collegian Magazine Vol. 39, Issue 3 (December 2010 – February 2011)

"Exploring Indigenous Flavors: Rediscovering the Uniqueness and Health Benefits of Native Delicacies and Beverages"

Decision-making before the turn of the century for the people of Bontoc, Mountain Province was done in the ato.

The ato is a place exclusive for males in indigenous peoples (IP) communities where elders gather around to make community decisions. It is a structure with a semi-circular stone-paved platform with an open court with stone stools and a bonfire space at the center. At present, however, the physical structure of the ato has evolved into a modern form.

In a study conducted by Ivory May N. Colingan titled “From Ato to Coffee Shops: The Evolution of Community Communication in Bontoc, Mountain Province”, the roles of ato in communication among the people in Bontoc, Mountain Province in the past and at present were described. The study also traced the beginnings of coffee shops in Bontoc and determined the reasons why people shifted venue from the ato to the coffee shops. Thus, interactions in the ato and in the coffee shops have been differentiated.

It was found out that, before, the ato was the center of all activities in a Bontoc community and was tagged as “half of the home.” According to the respondents of the study, the ato served as an area for wedding, solving crimes, arranging treaties, conducting rituals, and community decision-making since there was no municipal hall before. Communication roles of the ato covered by the study included the social, cultural, spiritual, and political aspects.

Socially, ato served as a place where people get credible news about their village and nearby villages. Culturally, it was a place where mangamang (general term for ritual rites) were carefully performed. Examples of cultural activities done in the ato are the tengaw (rest for the community) and chao-es (rituals for the dead).

Also, the whole process of manerwap (or asking Kabunyan for rainfall) was strictly done in the ato. It has likewise served as a church or place of worship before. Pakchi (peace pacts) between two tribes dealing with political issues were also conducted in the ato.

Presently, the uses of the ato have been modified. Elders would now go there to sit, do their ayyeng (chant) and talk to some village folks of their age who would happen to pass by. The communication instances happen by chance most of the time, according to the study.

Moreover, cultural activities in the ato decreased. Such activities were already allowed to be performed in homes and decision-making for tengaw is already possible in coffee shops.

The ato is still the area where the community people gather when they resolve rivalry issues, but only few peace pacts are happening nowadays. The most recent peace pact in Bontoc was about the reunion of Bontoc and the Maeng tribe of Abra in April 2008, as the study noted.

Coffee Shops

Bontoc has its own version of Starbucks. As people are now becoming addicted to coffee and the companionship it gives, coffee shops have become a booming business.

In Bontoc, coffee shops emerged in 1950s during the departure of the Japanese force. A bakery owned by a businessman named Afrikanu started the coffee business until coffee shops sprouted along the roadside.

According to the study, more people gather at the coffee shops rather than at the ato. It is very rare to see a gathering around the ato. It is in the coffee shops that more people could be seen meeting and chatting.

However, the people still visit the ato if necessary. They gather around it when elders announce a meeting and in coming up with a decision for a tengaw.

The study further shows that the factors on why people moved from the ato to coffee shops have something to do with death of the ato members as well as the issue on the weak membership in the ato. Economic, spiritual, and political factors are also factors to be considered.

Further, while the ato is exclusively for males and elders, coffee shops cater to everybody. Communication methods in the ato involve heavy activities like butchering of pigs, chickens, and performance of rituals while communication methods in coffee shops are informal.

Decision-making and tot-oya (sharing of stories) are the content of interactions in the ato. For coffee shops, people can talk about anything they want.

With this trend, the weakening spirit of the Cordilleran tradition and culture is surfacing, it is unfortunate that such phenomenon happens. But thanks to documentation efforts, such culture could indeed be preserved.

RELATED ARTICLES

Sangadil: an Indigenous Practice of Honoring the Dead
CULTURE Sangadil: an Indigenous Practice of Honoring the Dead by Dine Yve Daganos, The Mountain Collegian...
Continue reading
Dap-ay: The Multipurpose Hub​
CULTURE Dap-ay: The Multipurpose Hub by Erwin John Taborda, The Mountain Collegian Alumni | Originally...
Continue reading
Sapata: More Than a Sacred Oath
CULTURE Sapata: More Than a Sacred Oath by Rose Dagupen, The Mountain Collegian alumnA “In the...
Continue reading
Cordilleran Tattoos on the Brink of Oblivion
CULTURE Cordilleran Tattoos on the Brink of Oblivion by Karlston Lapniten, The Mountain Collegian Alumni...
Continue reading