FEATURE

CONVERGENCE IN THE VALLEYFLOOR Timeline to BSU’s Land Imperium

by Jaime Bernabe Alonzo II 

ILLUSTRATED BY: JOSEPH B. CALAMUCHA

What is a land? This is but the space and soil that our feet lay below. And when we say that
we own land, does it stretch to the depths of this earth and above the skies? Owning land means
that you are entitled to all of what ever it carries within it and within its boundaries, you have
dominion over its natural resources and all of its bounties. Obtaining land, especially here in the
highlands, has become a symbol of wealth and a representation of power.

1898

The Spanish colonial period in the
Philippines was overthrown by the
Americans in 1898, then gaining outright
power over the colonial country

1903

During the American regime, William Howard
Taft, the American president, issued an executive
order 79 on September 10, 1903. Howard gave
the Northward-Senior Camps a 14.4592-hectare-wide land in
Benguet for the purpose and use as an Agriculture Station

1914

Eleven years later, Governor-General Francis Burton Harrison issued another executive order giving three parcels of land to the Bureau of Education. The three land parcels were given not only as an extension of the agriculture station but also for the settlement of the Bureau of Agriculture as an experimental station and stock farm.

1916

Later on, the land parcels that were given through Executive Orders 79 and 99 were utilized for academic purposes. This gave birth to Trinidad Farm School (TFS) in 1916. TFS is school that was dedicated to training non-Christian farmers. The school was awarded lands various parcels of land to be used for agricultural and educational purposes. Aside from lands awarded to the school, some lands were also bought from the old Mountain Province. Due to such, the TFS has almost three-fourths of the land area in La Trinidad.

1951

The humble TFS after several years was known as Mountain National Agricultural Schools (MNAS) a growing agricultural school. Due to MNAS holding prime areas or land, it became a problem for farmers and the community to develop economic growth from business and various industry types.

Land has its own resources and uses that can be utilized for the development of its economy, without land we cannot put up businesses, farms, markets, and other necessary establishments that the community needs in order for it to prosper, therefore the land must be spread to its people. It’s great possession of the land of La Trinidad valley has come to its end.

1954-55

Due to such a predicament, the Land Reform Act of 1955 (RA. No. 1400) and the Agri Tenancy Act of 1954 were brought to the surface. Both acts sought to spread the lands owned by MNAS to various owners to develop farming locations to further make La Trinidad thrive economically. The school named  Mountain Agricultural College (MAC) at the time, appealed to President Ramon Magsaysay, the Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources, and the Bureau of Lands about the land reforms. As a result, MAC retained 163.8721 hectares as school property and 410.3772 hectares were relinquished.

1969

In 1969, MAC became known as Mountain State Agricultural Colleges (MSAC). Within its land, the municipal hall, the town market, and some informal house settlements emerged on the school land grounds. 

To minimize such scenarios, MSAC built school infrastructures around its properties to minimize squatters and informal settlers in its land area. The school president Bruno Santos at that time proposed to the board that informal homeowners at the school area would pay a minimal amount per square meter monthly.

“You have enjoyed living in the school property for free for many years. It is only appropriate that you now pay a reasonable rent… I think this is the best solution, rather than have the College take you to court and start ejection proceedings,” Santos remarked.

1981

Due to the informal setting of the Province of Benguet Capitol, municipal market, and the Benguet General Hospital, a formal exchange of land occurred. The exchange happened on July 4, 1981. President Santos gave 54.0421 hectares of land to Governor Ben Palispis which are the locations of the present municipal hall, municipal market, and Benguet General Hospital. Palispis, in return gave six parcels of land the name of the Province of Benguet covered by original certificate of title

With the reforms and appeal in place, infrastructures and buildings grew and flourished within the community, creating the development that it was meant to have. La Trinidad within the years became an economical hotspot, with trades and businesses growing yearly, that caused it to be eyed by different people causing sparks of interest to attain lands in La Trinidad.

1986

Through Presidential Decree No. 2010, MSAC became known as Benguet State University (BSU). In 1986, BSU then began to develop extension campuses outside of La Trinidad. BSU has now two campuses located in Loo, Buguias in 2001 with 4.8270 ha while the Bokod campus in Ambangeg, Daclan, Bokod in 2002 with 8.6323 ha.

2010

The diminution of school reservation continues to happen with many unsurfaced and undeclared land transactions. In 2004, a Proc. No. 637 excluding 132,509 square meters from the operation of EO No. 99 located at Wangal for faculty and housing site. In 2010, another Proc. No. 2098 excluding Lot 9 and Lot 10 in Tawang about 34, 866 sqm from EO No. 39 as relocation site for casualties for Typhoon Pepeng.

now

From BSU owning nearly three – fourths of the land in La Trinidad to roughly 600 hectares of land, BSU’s land empire has come to its fall. Truly the land must be spread in order to create the progress that is needed for the booming population and needs of the people. However, BSU as one of the biggest land grabbers should not be a reason for its land property to be turned to a mere quantity. The people’s growing interest and want to gain pieces of its land only shows their concern for their own needs, they do not give their respect and hopes to the merit or importance of the academe and its future growth that could empower thousands and create the wave of development they have sought for. To when shall we see BSU’s lands being retained and given its own right to owned as a training ground for academic pursuits?

RELATED ARTICLES

PASADA: Biyahe ng Modernisasyon
FEATURE PASADA: Biyahe ng Modernisasyon by Liezhel Joy T. Ramos ILLUSTRATED...
Continue reading
DUCKS: A CROWN JOY AND UNITY
FEATURE DUCKS: A CROWN JOY AND UNITY by Jaime Bernabe Alonzo II  ILLUSTRATED...
Continue reading

2 Responses